The BDHSC places high value on its contribution to both academic and health industry communities. Below are key selected Big Data Health Science related articles (including those submitted, under review, published, and/or awaiting publication) by BDHSC members.
1. Baratta, A.M, Kanyuch, N.R., Cole, C.A.*, Valafar, H., Deslauriers, J., Pocivavsek, A. Acute Sleep Deprivation During Pregnancy in Rats: Rapid Elevation of Placental and Fetal Inflammation and Kynurenic Acid. Neurobiology of Stress, Accepted, awaiting publication. CiteScore: 8.28, SNIP: 2.094, SJR: 3.359.
2. Biesecker, C.*, Zahnd, W.E., Brandt, H.M., Adams, S.A., Eberth, J.M. A bivariate mapping tutorial for cancer control resource allocation decisions and interventions. Preventing Chronic Disease. 2020;17:190254. DOI: 10.5888/pcd17.190254
3. Cole, C.A.*, Powers, S.P., Tomko, R.L., Froeliger, B., Valafar, H. Quantitation of Smoking Topography using Smartwatch Technology: A Feasibility Study, submitted to JMIR, currently under review.
4. Cole, C.A.*, Daigham, N.S., Liu, G., Montelione, G.T., Valafar, H. REDCRAFT: A Computational Platform Using Residual Dipolar Coupling NMR Data for Determining Structures of Perdeuterated Proteins Without NOEs. Submitted to PLOS Comp Biology, under review.
5. Cole, C.A.*, Ott, C.*, Valdes, D.., Valafar, H. “PDBMine: A Reformulation of the Protein Data Bank to Facilitate Structural Data Mining”; Proceedings of 2019 International Conference on Computational Science & Computational Intelligence (Chapter: Symposium on Computational Biology); CSCI, USA, Co-Editors: H. R. Arabnia, L. Deligiannidis, and F. G. Tinetti; IEEE CPS, IEEE Xplore entry: 1803739/pending, December 2019.
6. Cole, C.A.*, Parks, C.*, Rachele, J.*, Valafar, H. Improvements of the REDCRAFT Software Package, Proceedings of the International Conference on Bioinformatics & Computational Biology (BIOCOMP), July 2019, Las Vegas, NV.
7. Cutter, S.L., Derakhshan, S. Temporal and spatial change in disaster resilience in US counties, 2010–2015. Environmental Hazards. 19(1):10-29.
8. Donevant, S.B., Svendsen, E.R., Richter, J.V., Tavakoli, A.S., Craig, J.B., Boltin, N.D., Valafar, H., NiNardi, S.R., Culley, J.M. Designing and executing a functional exercise to test a novel informatics tool for mass casualty triage, Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association; Volume 26, Issue 10, October 2019, Pages 1091–1098.
9. Dunn, C., Turner-McGrievy, G.M., Wilcox, S., Hutto, B. Dietary self-monitoring through calorie tracking but not digital photography app is associated with significant weight loss: The 2SMART pilot study, a six-month randomized trial. Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. 2019 Sep;119(9): 1525-1532.
10. Eberth, J.M., Zahnd, W.E., Adams, S.A., Friedman, D.B., Wheeler, S.B., Hébert, J.R. Mortality-to-incidence ratios by US congressional district: implications for epidemiology, dissemination and implementation research, and public health policy. Preventive Medicine. 2019; 129:105849. DOI: 10.1016/j.ypmed.2019.105849.
11. Eric, C., Melanie, G., Yuan, H., Zhang, J., & Olatosi, B. (2020). The positive association between employment and self-reported mental health in the USA: a robust application of marginalized zero-inflated negative binomial regression (MZINB). Journal of Public Health, 42(2), 340-352.
12. Goldstein, S.P., Thomas, J.G., Turner-McGrievy, G.M., Foster, G.D., Herbert, J.D., Butryn, M.L., Martin, G.J., Forman, E.M. Refining an algorithm-powered just-in-time adaptive weight control intervention: A randomized controlled trial evaluated model performance and behavioral outcomes. Health Informatics Journal. In press.
13. Haider, M.R., Brown, M.J., Harrison, S., Yang, X., Ingram, L., Bhochhibhoya, Hamilton A., Olatosi B., & Li, X. (2019). Sociodemographic factors affecting viral load suppression among people living with HIV in South Carolina. AIDS care, 1-9.
14. Haider, M. R., Brown, M. J., Karim, S., Siddiqi, K. A., Olatosi, B., & Li, X. (2020). Factors associated with self-reported HIV testing in the Dominican Republic. International journal of STD & AIDS, 31(6), 560-567.
15. Hu, L., Li, Z., Ye, X. Delineating and Modelling Activity Space Using Geotagged Social Media Data. Cartography and Geographic Information Science.
16. Hung, P., Deng, S.*, Zahnd, W.E., Adams, S.A., Olatosi, B., Crouch, E.L., & Eberth, J.M. (2020). Geographic disparities in residential proximity to colorectal and cervical cancer care providers. Cancer, 126(5), 1068-1076.
17. Jiang, Y., Li, Z., Cutter, S.L. Social network, activity space, sentiment, and evacuation: what can social media tell us? Annals of the American Association of Geographers. 109 (6):1795-1810.
18. Karami A., Dahl A. A., Valappil S. P., Turner-McGrievy G., Shaw J. G., Kharrazi H., Bozorgi P., (2019), Does Diet-Related Tweets Disclose Political Preferences?, AMIA Annual Symposium, Washington, DC.
19. Karami,, Ghasemi M., Sen S., Moraes M. F., Shah V. (2019). Exploring Diseases and Syndromes in Neurology Case Reports from 1955 to 2017 with Text Mining. Computers in Biology and Medicine.
20. Karami, A., Lundy, M.*, Webb, F., Dwivedi, Y.K. (2020). Twitter and Research: A Systematic Literature Review through Text Mining, IEEE Access.
21. Lenhart, B., Wei, X., Wang, X., Wang, Q., Liu, C. (2020). Nanopore Fabrication and Application as Biosensors in Neurodegenerative Diseases”, Critical Reviews™ in Biomedical Engineering, accepted.
22. Li, M., Lu, Z. K., Amrol, D. J., Mann, J. R., Hardin, J. W., Yuan, J., … & Love, B. L. (2019). Antibiotic exposure and the risk of food allergy: evidence in the US Medicaid pediatric population. The Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology: In Practice, 7(2), 492-499.
23. Li, M., Schulz, R., Wang, J., & Lu, Z. K. (2019). Pharmacy students’ intentions to utilize pharmacoeconomics, pharmacoepidemiology, and health outcomes in future jobs. Currents in Pharmacy Teaching and Learning, 11(10), 995-1001.
24. Li, Z., Huang, Q., Emrich, C.T. Introduction to social sensing and big data computing for disaster management. International Journal of Digital Earth. 12 (11): 1198-1204.
25. Lu, K., Li, M., & Wu, J. (2019). Managing unstructured and structured big data in healthcare system: generating valid real-world evidence by natural language processing.
26. Lundy M.*, Webb F.*, Karami A. (2020), How Bisexual+ Community Members Tweet about Health: A Community-Informed, Topic Modeling Approach to Characterizing Under-Reported Health Needs of LGBTQ Twitter Users, DH2020, Ottawa, Canada.
27. Martín, Y., Cutter, S.L., Li, Z. Bridging twitter and survey data for evacuation assessment of Hurricane Matthew and Hurricane Irma. Natural hazards Review 21 (2), 04020003.
28. Martín, Y., Cutter, S.L., Li, Z., Emrich, C.T., Mitchell, J.T. Using geotagged tweets to track population movements to and from Puerto Rico after Hurricane Maria. Population and Environment, 1-24.
29. McFarland, D.*, Valafar, H. Evaluating Precision and Recall through the Utility of msTALI via an Active-Site Study on Fold Families, Proceedings of the 2019 IEEE International Conference on Bioinformatics and Biomedicine (IEEE BIBM 2019), November 2019, San Diego, CA.
30. McLain, A., Guo, S*, Zhang, J. Cross-Sectional Length-Biased Semi-Competing Risks Data, Submitted to Annal of Applied Statistics, Revision Suggested.
31. Money V., Karami A., Turner-McGrievy G., Kharrazi H. (2020), Temporal Analysis of Diet Discourses on Reddit, International Conference on Social Media and Society, Chicago, IL.
32. Ning, H., Li, Z., Hodgson, M., Wang, C. Prototyping a Social Media Flooding Photo Screening System Based on Deep Learning. ISPRS International Journal of Geo-Information 9 (2), 104.
33. Odhiambo, C.*, Cole, C.A.*, Trkjazi, A., Valafar, H. State Transition Modeling of the Smoking Behavior using LSTM Recurrent Neural Networks. Proceedings of 2019 International Conference on Computational Science & Computational Intelligence (Chapter: Health Informatics & Medical Systems); CSCI, USA, Co-Editors: H. R. Arabnia, L. Deligiannidis, and F. G. Tinetti; IEEE CPS. December 2019.
34. Odigwe, B.E*, Evitavi, J.S., Odigwe, C.I., Valafar, H. Modelling of Sickle Cell Anemia Patients Response to Hydroxyurea using Artificial Neural Networks, Proceedings of the International Conference on Health Informatics and Medical Systems (HIMS), July 2019, Las Vegas, NV.
35. Olatosi, B., Siddiqi, K. A., & Conserve, D. F. (2020). Towards ending the human immunodeficiency virus epidemic in the US: State of human immunodeficiency virus screening during physician and emergency department visits, 2009 to 2014. Medicine, 99(2), e18525.
36. Olatosi, B., Weissman, S., Zhang, J., Chen, S., Haider, M. R., & Li, X. (2020). Neighborhood matters: impact on time living with detectable viral load for new adult HIV diagnoses in South Carolina. AIDS and Behavior, 24(4), 1266-1274.
37. Olatosi, B., Zhang, J., Weissman, S., Hu, J., Haider, M.R., & Li, X. (2019). Using big data analytics to improve HIV medical care utilization in South Carolina: A study protocol. BMJ open, 9(7), e027688.
38. Pham, E.O.*, Emrich, C.T., Li, Z., Mitchem, J., Cutter, S.L. Evacuation Departure Timing during Hurricane Matthew. Weather, Climate, and Society. https://doi.org/10.1175/WCAS-D-19-0030.1.
39. Sala, D., Huang, Y.J., Cole, C.A.*, Snyder, D., Liu, G., Ishida, Y., Swapna, G.V.T., Brock, K.P., Sander, C., Fidelis, K., Kryshtafovych, A., Inouye, M., Tejero, R., Valafar, H., Rosato, A., Mintelione, G.T. Montelione. Protein Structure Prediction Assisted with Sparse NMR Data in CASP13. PROTEINS: Structure, Function, and Bioinformatics.
40. Turner-McGrievy, G.M., Dunn, C.G., Wilcox, S., Boutté, A.K., Hutto, B., Hoover, A., Muth, E. Defining adherence to mobile dietary self-monitoring and assessing tracking over time: Tracking at least two eating occasions per day is best marker of adherence within two different mHealth randomized weight loss interventions. Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. 2019 Sep;119(9):1516-1524.
41. Turner-McGrievy, G.M., Karami, A., Monroe, C., Brandt, H.M. (2020). Dietary pattern recognition on Twitter: A case example of before, during, and after four natural disasters. Natural Hazards.
42. Webb F., Karami A. (2020), LGBT in Social Media: Comparing Health Tweets of LGBand Transgender Individuals, International Conference on Computational Social Science hosted by MIT, Cambridge, MA.
43. Wei, X., Ma, D., Zhang, Z., Wang, L.Y., J. Gray, Wang, X., Lenhart, B., Yin, Y., Wang, Q., Liu, C. (2020). N-Terminal Derivatization-Assisted Identification of Individual Amino Acids Using Biological Nanopore Technology, ACS Sensors, 2020, accepted.
44. Xiong, L., Chinaeke, E. E., Lu, K., Lenihan, D. J., Merritt, T. E., & Cox, Z. L. (2019). Evaluation of Severe Myalgia Induced by Continuous‐Infusion Bumetanide in Patients with Acute Heart Failure. Pharmacotherapy: The Journal of Human Pharmacology and Drug Therapy, 39(8), 854-860.
45. Xu, D., Huang, X., Li, Z., & Li, X. Local motion simulation using deep reinforcement learning. Transactions in GIS.
46. Zahnd, W.E., Harrison, S.E., Messersmith, A., Stephens, H.*, Brandt, H.M., Hastings, T., Eberth, J.M. Expanding access to HPV vaccination in South Carolina through community pharmacies: a geospatial analysis. In Press at Journal of the American Pharmacist Association.
47. Zahnd, W.E., McLafferty, S.L., Eberth, J.M. Multilevel Analysis in Rural Cancer Control in the United States: A Conceptual Framework and Methodological Implications. Preventive Medicine. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2019.105835.
48. Zhao, L., Odigwe, B.*, Lessner, S., Clair, D.G., Mussa, F., Valafar, H. Automated Analysis of Femoral Artery Calcification Using Machine Learning Techniques; Proceedings of 2019 International Conference on Computational Science & Computational Intelligence (Chapter: Signal & Image Processing, Computer Vision & Pattern Recognition); CSCI, USA, Co-Editors: H. R. Arabnia, L. Deligiannidis, and F. G. Tinetti; IEEE CPS. December 2019.
Members bolded. Students indicated with *